There is, or was, a FB group called Why I (maybe it was We) Love Adoption. All I really remember is that a post on their Wall chirped “Why do YOU love adoption?!”
The Spiky Urchin, not being a lover of adoption at all, took the question as a personal challenge and decided to come up with some Real True Answers:
- I love adoption because it gives me something upon which to blame my shitty attitude.
- I love adoption because not trusting people enough to form relationships with them keeps my life drama-free.
- I love adoption because I know I’ll never take after certain self-centered, incapable-of-introspection folks in my a’family.
- I love adoption because access to my own birth certificate would make me just like any other American citizen, and how boring is that? I’m special!
- I love adoption because the sheer terror of getting pregnant, being sent away to another state in shame like my mother, and never seeing my own child kept me from having sex til I was 20 years old…by which time my expectations were properly low and my view of relationships permanently skewed.
- I love adoption because I was chosen! After Mom and Dad found out they couldn’t have their own kid, and after the state did a lot of background matching, and after my mother gave birth and relinquished and I became a ward of the state, and after South Carolina said “Here’s the baby girl girl we want you to have, Mr. and Mrs. X, come get her,” they picked me! Out of all the babies in the Universe!
Add your own in the comments, please?